August 30, 2009

Pimp My Crab

I finally joined my gym instead of paying for each visit. It's time - they've been gently hinting for about it for eight years. It had become a matter of pride to resist but I'm over all that now because I've discovered an aerobics class I like. I knew if I waited patiently it would happen for me.

I’ve lived in Germany off and on since 1998 and have noticed that although the nature of life is change, some things have more permanence here. For example, the same people still work in my gym year after year. This could never happen in the US, at least not West of, say, Utah. And although I haven't quite learned to think of these people as friends, I have at least come to regard them as people I recognize.

And now I can take aerobics classes.

K's birthday is next week, which is a bit of a bummer for her because most of her friends are on vacation. Yes, it's the great annual multi-week German summer family vacation, which takes place regardless of economic circumstances.

The German economy is in better shape than the American economy, even after propping up the rest of the EU as well as East Germany financially and paying off various debts of shame to other countries. This is mainly due to higher taxes and lower levels of extravagent and unnecessary consumerism but interestingly, personal debt tends to be a bit high.

I attribute this to the annual 6 week vacations in Ibiza taken even by the unemployed Germans in our acquaintance but hey, who am I to judge?

Anyway, K wants a hermit crab for her birthday. Yes, really. Now, if I were one of those organic cotton wearing moms who try to wean their kids off Disney princesses and interest them in boring unpainted wooden toys instead I would totally get this. As it happens, however, I have no idea where it comes from. Still, if my baby wants a hermit crab, a hermit crab she shall have.

We researched the matter a bit and discovered that hermit crabs are surprisingly popular pets and people actually decorate their shells. So this is what she's getting for Christmas:
Yeah, baby!

19 comments:

  1. Interesting about personal debt! My understanding was that the savings rate for Germans is still rather high and way higher than for Americans (which might still be below 0, but I'm not sure). Do you know how the savings rate is now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there. Note: Hermit crabs need to stay moist. My daughter took three into her class as class pets. On a Monday, she called me and told me they were all dead. "Are you sure?" I asked. "Well, I picked one up and it's legs fell off." Seems they hadn't spritzed or watered them in awhile...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry C N H, you're assuming I research things before I assert them. I have no idea what the German savings rate is but someone once mentioned in my hearing that the debt here is higher than you'd think so there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the pimped out shell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do tickle me! Your just so honest and funny. I love the idea of the hermit crab. And I could never take a 6 week vacation. Oh sure, I love the idea of it. But the guilt would overwhelm me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your last line that your baby should have a hermit crab because she wants it. Very funny. And bling for a hermit crab!!! Even funnier.

    Where does everyone find the energy for exercise?? I am impressed. You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you sure you didn't want to "pimp" your hermit crab? :)

    http://tinyurl.com/nmomd3

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome! I don't even know really what a hermit crab looks like. I think it needs a Snuggie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It might need a Snuggie if the the artwork doesn't go so well...

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you want to pimp that Hermit crab, just let me know.
    I can send you the stuff before his legs fall off :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Yes, it's the great annual multi-week German summer family vacation, which takes place regardless of economic circumstances." -- I could totally go for that as long as taxes on the working weren't hiked.

    Love the crab dazzler! There's nothing like it here in the states, least so far as I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pimping yo' crab - hilarious! Whatever next?!

    My daughter has a birthday when all her friends are away... I keep promising a really big birthday bash, but perhaps a be-dazzled slug is a better idea? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, we are going to need to see that pimped out shell. I may even have Elijah pimp his turtle shells!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I honestly never knew one could 'bling' ones hermit crab! You can learn something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So funny! Who would have thought...

    ReplyDelete
  16. A hermit crab? Hum....OK. I would love the 6-week vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Bling Kit. You are quite the researcher,gifter, and mommie. A hermit crab is such a simple thing to want. They are sweet little pets and I concur, baby should indeed have her own hermit crab. The bling is surely the icing. If I were an accomplished blogger, I would give you some clever award. As a rookie blogger with limited vocab and speaking abilities and zero clout with the awards dept., I will issue my own award.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Must go ponder name for your well earned award. Will get back to you. Sorry for the delay.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Learn about the hermits please

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails