June 18, 2009

A trip down marketing lane

I recently renewed my passport, which needs a new German residence permit stamp so we drove out to the Muenchen Landskreisverwaltung (or maybe it was the Landratsamt) this morning to take care of this. On the way we saw this sign:
'Yes you can!' President Obama would be proud to know that his words are being used to sell jeeps in Europe. And clearly Germans will pay more for enormous American gas guzzlers if they are depicted in front of the White House.
This is my deoderant:Nice, huh? I snapped it up in a Rite Aid going out of business sale. It is 'Stylish and Trendy' so I make sure to insert my underarms into every conversation so people will know I'm using Teen Spirit. I've gotten a lot of compliments, believe me.

And this is my sunscreen:


It's not as stylish and trendy as my deoderant, but it does claim to protect my DNA. I love over the counter DNA alterning cosmetic products, don't you? I looked up the ingredients online but all it said was, 'contains active ingredients.' Which is good, because I wouldn't want the chemicals that change my DNA to be inactive, right? It just makes sense that they wouldn't work as well as active ingredients.

When I was in high school our social studies classroom had a poster of Mickey Mouse flipping the bird with the caption, 'Hey Iran!' I know that's unthinkable today but THAT was marketing. Simple, direct, compelling. With one simple captioned picture my adolescent brain registered the following message: 1) the US is mad at Iran; 2) the US has big cahonas; and 3) the US is the good guy because we have Mickey Mouse.

Today that same poster would probably be a website with links to related stories, articles, interviews, blogs, youtubes and advertisements and after wasting an hour or so I would come away with dozens of conflicting messages instead of just 3 simple ones. Which is good because people are easy to fool with simple, direct, compelling messages.

But it can also be paralyzing.

I don't really have a point.

Er. . . bye.

11 comments:

  1. A wonderfully funny post! Glad you're getting bamboozled by ads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My theory with German marketing is that they believe if it's in English it's automatically cooler and thus more likely to be bought - no matter if that English is ungrammatical or inappropriate. Often it's just embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to end a blog post with "er....bye" sometime soon. It's the perfect way to end a post when you don't know what else to say. Heh - it's the blog equivalent of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HPH - that's freaking hilarious! I need to know where I can get that deodorant - so my fragrance is as fun as I am. I'm just a little concerned about what that would smell like...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. I agree with The Dental Maven. I'm not sure I want to smell like a teen... In fact, I just had a conversation with my teenage son about his odoriferous tendencies. He's agrees to try a stronger (more manly, less teenybopper) deodorant. Although, for my personal use I will try to continue to avoid smelling like a man--and a sweaty teen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny! I swear I used to use a deodorant like that in high school!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, thank you for posting about Teen Spirit deodorant before I did. It's been bouncing around in my brain for a couple weeks now. So great minds think alike I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a stock pile of handcreams and shampoos!! I have vowed to sucker my boys into using up the shampoo that I didn't like. I have trouble tossing stuff that can be used, but I did not like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you send me some of that deodorant? I want to be a pop star!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so hoping that deodorant has glitter in it. Wouldn't that be a nice touch? I can't believe they haven't invented that yet. Now's the time to act.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got your point. I used to wear me some Teen Spirit, pretty rockin' huh? I have graduated to Dove now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails