April 11, 2009

Sun Kissed

I grew up in Los Angeles and Arizona, where the seasonal changes are less apparent than in, say, in Maine or Vermont. I mean, it gets hotter in summer and colder in winter and that's about it. Perhaps because of this I have always felt myself spritually drawn to the vivid reds and golds of Autumn.
However, after a long, cold, dreary German winter I find myself deeply appreciating the warm spring sun and gentle spring breezes as I never have before. When I rode my bike to pick up my kids the other day from a friend's house I felt positively sun kissed. It was like I could breath in the spring air and sunshine through my skin.
It was a perfect moment of physical existence. I marveled at how each tree looked ready to burst with life and wanted to stop and look at each quivering bud.
As I approached home with my kids a gaggle of pre-teen girls crossed my path, clucking and chirping to each other and eating ice cream cones. On this gorgeous day, although my spring years are past and I'm well into late summer, I didn't envy them their plump skin and slender legs.
No. In my newfound wisdom and gratitude I saw past all that to their true divine nature and future potential.
As babysitters.

12 comments:

  1. Living in a tropical climate I tend to miss the changing seasons. Your bike ride sounded sublime! And naturally your conclusion made me smile knowingly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful to me. Having lived in AZ for more years than I wanted to, I get very tired of straight sun and no other seasons. So when it ever rains, I'm positively giddy. I miss the seasons so much. I loved autumn and early spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great when we occasionally live "in the moment" and not push toward the future like we do all too often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Thanks for stopping by today. I love the pic of autumn. We don't get that here in Texas. I too spent many years in Arizona (about 12) and only sometimes miss that. I am glad that spring is here though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post. So well written! I've been mostly a lurker, but I had to pipe up and say thanks for those vivid images and a great laugh at the end. I really enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People always say that by having the long, dreary winters in Utah, they appreciate spring and summer more. Please. Give me spring and summer all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious - love it!

    And yes - spring - finally! After 6 months of snow and ice, we too really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have to agree with Kristina........give me spring!
    Darling blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates having more than one babysitter from which to chose. But I'd still give about anything for those slender legs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go sitters! They're like books . . . can never have enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what sucks about l.a. is we don't get THE DAY when suddenly people can wear shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! So wonderfully poetic and funny!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails