December 18, 2008

Collateral damage

This morning it seems as if we have defeated the EGV (Evil German Virus). My coughing is somewhat under control and I can get out of bed. K is fit again and ate some cookies and corn flakes this morning. L went to bed with a low fever again but seems normal now and has a good appetite.

But there is collateral damage as we sift through the rubble and we aren’t out of the woods yet. I’ve stressed abdominal multiple muscles during my violent coughing attacks and it feels like I may have dislodged my appendix. And you don't even want to know about my hair. K has developed a new cough and is complaining about ear pain so we may be on the road to an ear infection. L is also coughing fiercely and may be getting a sinus infection. Poor Ralf is exhausted from taking care of us all.

This is by far the sickest we’ve ever all been. The dazzling array of germs and bugs and viruses and bacterium in the Great American Melting Pot never laid us low like this. Must be the weather.

This morning K reported that she dreamed that a boy came to our house and wanted to cuddle with her. She’s five, so this is one of those things that make you go, ‘hmmn.’ She also announced that she likes to eat her buggers, which is more like it. ‘OK darling,’ I said. ‘Just be careful who you share that information with, not everyone will understand.’ She nodded wisely and ran off.

Unless someone takes another turn for the worse today, Ralf is off to Ireland tonight for our company’s European Christmas party. I was supposed to go too and we had planned an extra day just for us but I’m still not well enough to travel and party, plus my girls need me. But he has business there and needs to go, besides he can hopefully get a good night’s sleep tonight if he can escape his needy family for 24 hours.

So that’s the update from Munich. We’re holding steady and I may even be able to get some work done today, which would be good since I have a big design deadline coming up. Thanks to all of you for your good wishes, I’m sure they helped.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails