October 2, 2009

What's in a name?

I just read a great post over at Sara's repeating a Facebook conversation on baby names, which got me thinking that I might have missed out on an opportunity to inflict my own brand of creative psychosis on my offspring.

Damn. I'm usually so good about stuff like that.

So, if I ever have another baby girl, I will consider calling her:

Debris;
Shanaynay;
Celery;
Placenta (or maybe Placenta-Marie);
Sierra Mist;
Aphrodite; or perhaps...
Faboo

Or better yet, a German name, like Bundesliga.

Other suggestions?

Of course, no contest if it's a boy:

Gaylord. I love that name.

12 comments:

  1. I don't know, Moon Unit and Dweezil have always been my personal favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Humpledinck. Or how about cheerful Victorian names like Death?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shateed. Only it's spelled "S-h-i-t-h-e-a-d" (an ACTUAL name, by the way).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's another phenomenon I failed to mention:
    consonant-apostrophe-name
    As in "B'Andrea" pronounced Bee-Andrea. And she's a white girl. From out in the country. Riddle me that one.

    T'Sara Tuh-Sara
    D'Julie Duh Julie
    F'Janet Fah Janet

    Areola is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No joke, I had a friend who seriously considered naming her daughter Fellatia. When I told her that it was entirely inappropriate and horrible to name a baby that, her response was "Get your mind out of the gutter! It's just a twist on the name Felicia."

    Thankfully, when she got around to actually having a daughter she went with something else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In "Shopaholic and Baby" the character Becky threatens to name her baby Pomegranate (girl) or Armageddon (boy). Mostly to freak out her MIL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew a girl named Vangee. I thought it was a very strange name at the time. Then there was this girl named Dreama. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew a Gaylord. Was NOT a good name to have in high school. Nope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom's insurance adjuster is named Tilex Altadore. No yolk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My brother just had a baby boy and we had to put the thumbscrews on to prevent him naming the kid "Redford".

    Tame compared to some but a burden all the same.

    They called him Louis. (Louie, Louie, oh no...)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails