November 5, 2008

Amazing Salmon Chowder

I made this based on a recipe in Jolynn Spinelli's 'What's the Soup' and it is amazingly delicious and pretty easy. I adapted it a bit because 3 cups of cream is a bit much.

1 tbs fennel seeds
2 tbs unsalted butter
1 med yellow onion
2 ribs celery (or I prefer fennel), diced
1 tbs rosemary
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
10 small red potatoes,cut into 1 inch cubes
3 yams, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
10 cups veg stock - or whatever you prefer, I think I used chicken
2 cups plain tomato sauce (I didn't have any so I used spaghetti sauce)
3 lbs salmon fillets, no skin or bones, frozen is fine
1 cup cream
5-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

toast fennel seeds in frying pan then remove and set aside
Melt butter in large soup pot
Add onion and celery or fresh fennel, stir about 6-8 minutes until translucent
Add toasted fennel seeds, cayenne adn rosemary, cook another minute
Add potatoes, yams, stock, garlic and tomato sauce
Bring to boil, then simmer about 15 minutes until potatoes done
Add salmon and simmer at least another 15 minutes (I think I did 30 because I was bringing kids to bed)
Add cream and salt to taste

That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails