September 22, 2009

H is for Honeypiehorse

Why, you ask, do I call myself Honeypiehorse?
I apparently have two primary facial expressions: frowning and grinning ear to ear. I've often been asked why I'm glaring at someone, to which I protest, 'I'm not, I'm smiling benevolently!' But no one believes me.
Long ago when we were dating and I was grinning Ralf said, 'Du grinnst wie ein Honigkuchenpferd,' which means, 'You grin like a honeypiehorse.' I think it's kind of a ginger cookie shaped like a horse.
I didn't speak a word of German back then and 'Honigkuchenpferd' sounded incredibly sexy. I wanted Ralf to call me Honigkuchenpferd instead of Schlumpf, which is what he usually called me (that's German for Smurf, by the way). And when I signed up for Yahoo Messenger I wanted to be Honigkuchenpferd.
But then I ran into a little snag.
Honigkuchenpferd was taken! So were Honigkuchenpferd 1, 2 and several more until I gave up in disgust - I mean, who the heck wants to be Honigkuchenpferd 28?
So I settled for English.
And there you have it, the story of me.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for clueing us in. I'd always wondered about the origin of your moniker. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have been wondering that for some time. Very romantic!

    So pferd is horse then? Honig-honey, kuchen-cookie/pie, pferd-horse?

    My favorite German word was always "Sehenswürdigkeiten"
    Just has a nice ring to it. Probably bc I'd never heard 'honeypiehorse' before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All right, as long as you're offering clarification, I've always wondered about "Our Feet Are the Same."

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so awesome that you husband gets you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honigkuchenpferd -- now that makes perfect sense!

    And let me be the one to translate "Our Feet Are the Same", which as a German I didn't get at all until my American husband clued me in: it's what "Auf Wiedersehen" sounds like to a non-German!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! And Honigkuchenpferd definitely sounds better than Schlumpf... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi HPH! Thanks for clearing that up. And it took me until last month to figure out the "Our feet are the same" connection. Very clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find it exhausting when some one asks me why I am not smiling. Sometimes... I need to think which I usually do not do with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story behind your cool name! Love it... Have you ever eaten the real thing?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails