January 28, 2010

I'd Rather be Throwing Up

Thank you for your kind wishes yesterday and all that virtual chicken soup, which was really all I could manage to eat. I feel better today, although still weak as a kitten, and alas, several pounds thinner.

Just kidding about that 'alas' part.

I've said this before but want to mention again how much respect I have for single parents. This morning there was nothing I wanted to do less than stand up, dress two kids in full winter gear, fix breakfast, pack lunches, check homework, assemble stuff for a school project, scrape ice off the car and shovel snow out of the driveway but there was no one else to do it. So I did it.

It'll be a long week, especially if this snow keeps up, but then my hubby and chief snow shoveler will be home. Men and women who do this alone don't get a break.

Now a few words about snow. It's really a bit sad that Ralf is gone this week because it's exactly the kind of snow he likes, clean and powdery. And I just read a lovely post about the joy of shoveling snow.

I hate it. I should have people for that.

Then again, I insisted on marrying a German, although technically, I didn't realize Bavaria was part of Germany at the time. And it wasn't exactly Ralf's idea to spend his life with a delicate LA orchid like myself, at least not until he proposed.

So, here is my winter litany - I'm still working out the kinks:

'I am a lucky woman. I love my husband. I have two beautiful children. I have floor heating. Winter sucks - I mean, winter is my friend.'


At least the girls like it.

15 comments:

  1. I hope you're feeling better! It's tough being alone with two kids when you're sick! Once I was so sick (and my husband away), I couldn't stand up, let alone give the kids breakfast or take them to school.

    My daughter was 6 and my son 4.5 yrs. My daughter ended up making breakfast, ringing school to say she wasn't coming and then she phoned some friends who came back early from work in order to take care of them... Boy, was I grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon. I'm happy to see the snow but I really excited for Spring. Good luck managing until your Hubby returns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES! I can't believe your little girls can't walk to school in the snow, uphill both ways, and then take over shoveling duty when they get home.

    Sheesh. Kids these days.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you're still not feeling well. Sending lots of healing vibes your way!

    I love snow. Wait, let me rephrase that: I like visiting the snow. I like to play in the snow for a few hours, and then go home. I've lived in Southern California my whole life. I don't know if I'd ever make it, living where it snows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate snow. We haven't had any water for the last week because of it. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are on the mend!!
    Winter, not a big fan.
    Summer, not a big fan.
    Moderate climate......big big fan. Most relaxed and productive at about 74 degrees with zero humidity. LA was far more moderate when I moved here 20 years ago. Global warming is real, people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I was hit really hard wit the flu this week too & all I could think was...Bless single mothers. I am so right there with you!!! Except I don't have heated floors :)

    That is so cute of the girls sking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping that you feel better Laura! Thanks for the help tonight. ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at those girls. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate winter so much. My husband loves it, too. I think he would be perfectly happy to have cold, snowy days year round.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that picture of the girls! It's like a picture of happiness.

    Ya gotta have all the snowy misery to fully appreciate the sunshine in June, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My snow people are on their way! Except, err, they're from Texas so, umm, well, hells bells, but I promise they'll do their best.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails