March 13, 2009

Going the Distance

R, who I heart because she's very funny, has tagged me for another blogging prize that represents 'Brilliant Content or Design', which I'm not sure is deserved but I'll take it.
Now I'm supposed to tell you 10 things about myself and nominate 7 other blogs for the prize.
I'm going to cheat a bit, however, because I think that between my HS Questionnaire and the 25 Things About Me posts, and all the various rants in between, you probably have a pretty good sense of who I am by now.
And now for the 7 blogs that I think should be recognized for 'going the distance.'
Here are the criteria: The authors of these blogs post frequently and go the extra mile to research their topics, follow and/or comment on other blogs regularly to keep the Blogsphere alive and thriving, present highly unusual pictures or information that you wouldn't normally come across and/or use multi-media such as YouTube.
They also have not received the Honest Scrap Award before. At least as far as I know.
And finally, followers of this blog got somewhat preferential treatment. That may sound self-serving but with so many great blogs out there I needed to narrow it down somehow.
As someone who usually just sits down and types whatever occurs to me (I mean, I put some thought into word choice and I once went out and created an avatar for my post 'Is it just me?' but that's about it), I totally respect this kind of extra effort.
Oh, and although you're tagged, you don't have to do anything. Only if you want to.
Here are the Finalists - I hope that if you visit these excellent blogs you won't stop reading my blog, which is a risk because they're all way better, but I'm going to take that chance in the interest of artistic honesty:
Kristina: You're probably all sick and tired of visiting my blog and seeing yet another mention of Kristina but I can't help it. I have no idea where she comes up with her hilarious ideas or finds the totally outrageous pictures she posts, let alone where she finds time to read and comment on so many blogs every day, but there it is. I particularly enjoyed her Lifetime Movies post. And I also think that Chacon should hold a special place in blogging history.
Bernthis: Jessica not only posts highly comedic stuff on a regular basis, she also has her own YouTube series. Be sure to check out her Hitler Wax Job video.
Naturelady: I wasn't sure which of Naturelady's two excellent blogs to link to and ended up opting for her new cooking blog Borealkitchen, which features beautiful pictures, vegetarian recipes and a refereshing attention to 'sustainable food.'
The Dental Maven: TDM is a niche blogger - all things related to teeth. You would think this topic would be somewhat limited, but as you will see from her latest post about flossing monkeys, our choppers present a wide field of untapped literary possibilities.
Lucy: In addition to keeping up with her regular blog, Lucy transcribed the diary of her great grandfather Charles Harper, who actually went west with Brigham Young. How cool is that?
So, that's five. Now two Honorable Mentions for great recent posts that were well-researched and made me laugh out loud:
Debbie: A hard-hitting look into the crazy coursework offered in America's colleges and universities.
Lawyer Mom: A very funny account of her son's science project on Saturn's rings.
And one Special Mention for 'always reading the fine print':
Bebe - Read all about what she discovered about Snuggles.
Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for these tips!

    And yes - more than a hundred people per day come to my blog under the search tag of: onions! Tis a heavy burden I must shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey HPH! Thanks so much for the nomination! Tis my first. But you are too self-effacing - your blog is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously love you blog. And the Honorable Mention? It made me LOL... I just can't win with you, can I? Always the bridesmaid, never the bride! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too kind to me!! And I love your blog. It brings a smile to my face everyday.

    Where the hell has R Max been, BTW?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thanks for the mention. I'm honored. Now I'm off to read the blogs of the nominees.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails